This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|Akers Way, Moredon, Princess Elizabeths visit, 1950||
Princess Elizabeth visiting the newly opened council houses in Akers Way Moredon 15th November 1950. She visited a Mrs Willmott in her home at No.22.
|November 15, 1950|
|Albert Street, premises of Edward King 1890||
Albert Street, premises of Edward King, cycle maker, on the corner with Wood Street. 1890
|July 1, 1890|
|Albion Street, Webbs Wharfe, Wilts and Berks Canal 1873||
Its hard these days to picture the canal running along the footpath behind Albion Street, let alone the wharf and landing stage that once stood there. Here are the pictures to help you visualise it
|June 1, 1873|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill Terminus, Tramcar No6, 1908||
Gorse Hill Terminus Tramcar No.6 in 1908.
|June 1, 1908|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill, Empire Day, 1937||
Argyle Street Empire Day the children all dressed up to celebrate. Identified are Margaret Fowler, Edna and Eileen Gillman, Pam Wilson, Jean Smith, Molly Nurden and her sister ?, the Grub brothers and Cyril ? Cox.
|May 24, 1937|
|Ashford Road, looking north, 1910||
A view of Ashford Road, looking north in 1910, St Saviour's Church to the right.
|July 1, 1910|
Latest Swindon News
- Swindon turns up the heat as the Chilli Fiesta crowns a new champion
- Plans submitted to grub up hedges ahead of Junction 16 revamp
- Teacher's sadness after adminstrators called in to school
- VIDEO OF THE WEEK: In 60 seconds: All 15 finalists in Celebrity Big Brother
- Wiltshire residents owe total of £12.2m council tax
- 'We won't let you down,' axed staff in hotel closure tell couple due to wed
- Honeysuckle Weeks: Missing actress found 'safe'
- Honeysuckle Weeks: Fears grow for missing Foyle's War actress
- Swindon Chilli Fest promises to be hot stuff
- Steve well underway with fresh challenges after Land's End to John O'Groats walk
- Three-car crash causes Mead Way delays
- Europe's Strongest Man gives little Frankie dream day out
- Artist to reveal the source of her inspiration during Open Studios event
- Whisky theft came after release from prison
- Parish council gives financial help to community groups
- Web editor ready for 100-mile challenge of RideLondon-Surrey
- Group planning to climb Ben Nevis for charity
- 'Sick and evil' paedophiles have appeal thrown out
- Appeal to help couple of 50 years take first holiday abroad
- Drink driving costs Army officer his place in tank regiment