This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|Akers Way, Moredon, Princess Elizabeths visit, 1950||
Princess Elizabeth visiting the newly opened council houses in Akers Way Moredon 15th November 1950. She visited a Mrs Willmott in her home at No.22.
|November 15, 1950|
|Albert Street, premises of Edward King 1890||
Albert Street, premises of Edward King, cycle maker, on the corner with Wood Street. 1890
|July 1, 1890|
|Albion Street, Webbs Wharfe, Wilts and Berks Canal 1873||
Its hard these days to picture the canal running along the footpath behind Albion Street, let alone the wharf and landing stage that once stood there. Here are the pictures to help you visualise it
|June 1, 1873|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill Terminus, Tramcar No6, 1908||
Gorse Hill Terminus Tramcar No.6 in 1908.
|June 1, 1908|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill, Empire Day, 1937||
Argyle Street Empire Day the children all dressed up to celebrate. Identified are Margaret Fowler, Edna and Eileen Gillman, Pam Wilson, Jean Smith, Molly Nurden and her sister ?, the Grub brothers and Cyril ? Cox.
|May 24, 1937|
|Ashford Road, looking north, 1910||
A view of Ashford Road, looking north in 1910, St Saviour's Church to the right.
|July 1, 1910|
Latest Swindon News
- Nythe Primary step onto the pitch in style thanks to donation
- Swimmer Stan, 70, takes on challenge for hydrotherapy pool
- A man with a thirst for history
- No more jam and Jerusalem
- Gallery: See a selection of Swindon Camera Club pictures here
- Trowbridge Spires 'shoplifter' death guard faces no action
- Josh Lewis: Bath sign Ebbw Vale fly-half ahead of 2017-18 season
- Marine who fatally shot injured Taliban fighter could be freed 'within weeks'
- Album review: Divide by Ed Sheeran
- A family affair down on the farm
- Tesco leaves trolleys unlocked as new £1 coin comes into circulation
- Food to smile about
- Pop in for a chat about Char
- How to make... Roast leg of Cotswold kid meat with tabbouleh
- And it’s all thanks to the Curry King
- MPs take note: We are in this together
- We want to show best of Swindon through its people
- Young stars wow crowds with hit show
- Drug dealer jailed after police find heroin, crack cocaine and samurai swords in house
- North Swindon MP criticises plan to close mental health facility