This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|Wood Street, No.11-13 Deacons Jewellers, 1905||
Deacons the Jewellers, watchmaker and china seller established in 1848 and still there today.
|June 1, 1905|
|Wood Street, No.10 Nash's Sweet Shop, 1968||
Nash's Sweet Shop at No 10 Wood Street in 1968. Mr E. Nash who made his own sweets opened the first Nash's in the 1850's. Later opening more shops in Rodbourne Road, Bridge Street and Regent Circus run by his daughters. Famous for their 'penny big lots' (a special bargain pack of sweets), and prize winning ice cream.
|June 1, 1968|
|Wood Street, looking east, 1904||
The tram system was very new when this photograph was taken, notice the temporary tramcar stop sign on the lampost on the right.
|July 1, 1904|
|Wood Street, and Bath Road junction, 1960's||
Wood Street and Bath Road junction in the 1960's.
|June 1, 1960|
|Wood Street, 1950s||
Wood Street and Devizes Road junction 1950,s
|June 1, 1950|
Other Recently Added Videos
1 min 18 secs
3 mins 6 secs
2 mins 48 secs
3 mins 38 secs
21 mins 51 secs
3 mins 31 secs
1 min 16 secs
3 mins 7 secs
Latest Swindon News
- Swindon Town v Doncaster Rovers
- Carlin moves to Bath training base
- Gloucester v Bath (Sat)
- More roadworks in the New Year
- South Swindon MP to help CALM bag pack at Waitrose on 22 December
- Calling all artists in Swindon to a transformation
- Sadness at passing of loved North Swindon mum Anne-Marie Burgess
- Carellis break their silence on attack by four burglars at their Rodbourne home
- Teenager who assaulted a pregnant woman given last chance by judge
- Dietitians lead Foodbank collection at Great Western Hospital Swindon
- 47 Christmas church services in Swindon
- Get your skates on and hit the ice at the Link Centre
- DIARY OF A POP STAR - PART 2: Driving home for Christmas
- Spectacular views atop tallest spire
- Bath hand new deals to back-rowers
- MUSIC: That was the week that was...
- 'Derbies are like internationals'
- Swindon-born Nick Hewer to quit The Apprentice
- THE LIST: 10 things to do in and around Swindon this weekend (Dec 20&21)
- Ancient site found near Stonehenge