This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|Aylesbury Street: St Johns Church Interior 1950||
This was the daughter church of St Mark's, opened in 1883, closed in 1958 and demolished soon afterwards
|January 1, 1950|
|Back Lane, Little London 1912||
One of the oldest streets in Swindon, and home to early migrants from London at the beginning of the 18th century. The steps on the left come from the back of The Rising Sun pub in Albert Street
|July 1, 1912|
|Bands, 'F' & 'G' Companies, Battalion of the Rifle Volunteers, Wiltshire Regiment, 1880||
The band of the 'F' & 'G' Companies, of a Battalion of the Rifle Volunteers, Wiltshire Regiment, outside the Mechanics Institute, c. 1880.
|June 1, 1880|
|Bands, GWR, Social and Educational Band, 1928||
The Mechanics Institute Social and Educational Band they had just won the Daily Mirror Cup (4th section) at Crystal Palace. 1928
|June 1, 1928|
|Bands, John Prosser and his Rhythmic Revels, early 1930s||
John Prosser and his Rhythmic Revels, here in the early 1930's included Harry Smith, Charlie Comley, Bert Amor, John Prosser, Sid Pymm and Bill Sutton.
|June 1, 1930|
Other Recently Added Videos
3 mins 39 secs
13 mins 19 secs
4 mins 15 secs
4 mins 11 secs
1 min 40 secs
2 mins 47 secs
Latest Swindon News
- Bishop's pilgrimage for Magna Carta
- VIDEO: Daughter's tribute to 'loving' mum
- Russian rocket is garden feature
- 7,000 cars checked and drug searches carried out during Operation Harness day of action
- Bath v Leicester (Sat)
- 'Mini' Wiltshire Air Ambulance built to help fundraising as labour of love
- PLAY-OFFS 2015: Famous faces backing Town's play-off bid
- Operator of locomotive in near miss at Bassett issued with improvement notice
- Swindon promotion 'could keep stars'
- PLAY-OFFS 2015: The Guy who keeps Town sharp
- Man who bit chunk out of friend's ear in drunken brawl spared immediate jail
- Were you Good Samaritan who stepped in when girl, 14, was attacked?
- Ex-PM's home garden plan turned down
- Going into battle...
- A Wembley bomb and Eurovision build up make today's national news
- PLAY-OFFS 2015: No threat to Town's final despite discovery of Second World War bomb near Wembley
- Nationwide chief executive to stand down
- Travel and weather round-up: Friday, May 22
- PLAY-OFFS 2015: New landlady can expect a busy first weekend behind bar in Swindon
- Parking ticket traps: We name the 20 places you're most likely to be fined in Swindon