This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|Akers Way, Moredon, Princess Elizabeths visit, 1950||
Princess Elizabeth visiting the newly opened council houses in Akers Way Moredon 15th November 1950. She visited a Mrs Willmott in her home at No.22.
|November 15, 1950|
|Albert Street, premises of Edward King 1890||
Albert Street, premises of Edward King, cycle maker, on the corner with Wood Street. 1890
|July 1, 1890|
|Albion Street, Webbs Wharfe, Wilts and Berks Canal 1873||
Its hard these days to picture the canal running along the footpath behind Albion Street, let alone the wharf and landing stage that once stood there. Here are the pictures to help you visualise it
|June 1, 1873|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill Terminus, Tramcar No6, 1908||
Gorse Hill Terminus Tramcar No.6 in 1908.
|June 1, 1908|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill, Empire Day, 1937||
Argyle Street Empire Day the children all dressed up to celebrate. Identified are Margaret Fowler, Edna and Eileen Gillman, Pam Wilson, Jean Smith, Molly Nurden and her sister ?, the Grub brothers and Cyril ? Cox.
|May 24, 1937|
|Ashford Road, looking north, 1910||
A view of Ashford Road, looking north in 1910, St Saviour's Church to the right.
|July 1, 1910|
Latest Swindon News
- GCSE results 2016: Tears of joy at Commonweal
- Hundreds line the street to pay tribute to Rafu, a 'Highworth legend'
- Awe-inspiring sunsets become the latest entries for VisitWiltshire judges to consider
- Boy who arrived in UK with no English gains six A* GCSEs and sets sights on becoming a surgeon
- Fourth successive record for GCSE results at Bradon Forest
- GCSE results 2016: Chloe is Lydiard Park Academy 'A*' pupil
- It's showtime for the Summer Youth Project
- Warrant issued for woman on string of fraud charges
- GCSE results 2016: Budding doctor celebrates top grades
- Head pays tribute to hard-working students
- GCSE results 2016: Mum, 34, proves it can be done
- Three men sought in connection with assault that landed teen in hospital
- 'Leave our land alone,' residents warn developers
- Responsible gambling conference brings in £300 for hospice
- Album of the month: Ellipse by Biffy Clyro
- Slice of five-star heaven on historic paradise isle
- A licence to love, says Gill Harris
- Get on your bike, says council chief
- Date set for unveiling of blue plaques for brave brothers
- Slice of rock from Shepherd's Pie