This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|Wood Street, 1918||
A view east into Wood Street, the large building called 'The Manor house' on the left of the picture was demolished in the 1960's sadly leaving little knowledge about it today. Please contact us if you know anything we dont about this building or any other on the site.
|July 1, 1918|
|Devizes Road, looking north,1905||
The premises of Tom Finn decorator and signwriter are to the right advertising that 'only skilled men employed'.
|July 1, 1905|
|High Street, Mason Arms, 1905||
Long since demolished the Masons Arms was on the site where HSBC now occupies and opposite Newport Street. Note the picture shows the entrance to the Masons Arms stables and yard.
|July 1, 1905|
|High Street, W.H. Norris, 1899||
34 High Street, W.H.Norris saddler and harness maker with all the tackle outside on display. Next door, Manchester House which in the early eighteenth century merchant's house, the family are caught on camera.
|July 1, 1899|
|Old Mill Lane, The Lawn ariel view, 1925||
Home of the Goddard family, 'The Lawn' an ariel view looking north-west 1925. This angle shows the expansive property and the way the Italian gardens were cultivated and planned.
|July 1, 1925|
Other Recently Added Videos
3 mins 41 secs
2 mins 51 secs
3 mins 35 secs
18 mins 58 secs
34 mins 42 secs
3 mins 39 secs
Latest Swindon News
- North Swindon MP Justin Tomlinson secures giant TV donation for Open Door Centre
- Man jailed for domestic violence in Swindon
- Pictures from St George's Day parade in Swindon
- Oakhurst Primary School in North Swindon celebrates diversity through colourful artwork thanks to Dulux
- Get involved in the Wroughton Airfield Solar Park public inquiry
- Man jailed for imprisoning and abusing partner
- Felton to stand trial for alleged assault on former business partner
- Tributes paid to 'mother and nanny'
- Naked man Tasered after throwing pants at police officer
- Man wounded in hammer attack near Beehive
- We shall not be moved (...but in the end they had no choice)
- UKIP row over 'confusing' rival name
- Teenager gives evidence after groin stabbing
- Felton to stand trial over alleged assault on former business partner
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance new helicopter to carry slogan: 'Funded by you, flying for you'
- Jail term for dealer who relocated to Swindon's 'softer' drugs market
- 160 APPEAL: Boardroom coup will boost funds
- Victim of violent bus attack sought
- Town split over bid for 300 new homes
- Next in the hotseat: Newlands Anning - send us your questions for the mental health expert