This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|GWR, The Works aerial view north east||
The Works began operations in Swindon in January 1843 initially as a repair facility extensively developing expanding Swindon's population enormously over the years. The photographer perched on top of the Carriage works roof pointing north east recording the newly extended General Offices building, to its left 'B' Shed complex. Note there is no date for this photo so we have estimated one.
|June 1, 1920|
|GWR, The last Chief Mechanical Engineer||
Mr F.W. Hawksworth the last Chief Mechanical Engineer in his office within the General Offices he succeeded C.B. Collett in 1941. Note No date is given so we have estimated one.
|June 1, 1941|
|GWR, Swindon, Hooter room,||
This is a picture of where the Hooter was operated from and the time schedules and clock to show when to sound it. Note date is estimated.
|July 1, 1930|
|GWR, Swindon, 1890||
A view of the Running Shed the picture is looking north and shows the running sheds to the right and stock sheds to the left. Notice that sme broad gauge track is still present.
|July 1, 1890|
|GWR, Swindon Works Pass, during WWII, 1942||
A Pass was required to gain entry to the Short Bros buildings on the GWR site during the Second World War. Short Bros' entrance was at the slope (later knon as Shorts'Hill by locals) on the edge of Ferndale Road recreation ground and Osborne Street, now part of the Oasis traffic island, Mr R.J. Clarke worked there as an inspector on the parts produced for aircraft.
|March 1, 1942|
Other Recently Added Videos
45 mins 5 secs
3 mins 1 secs
3 mins 4 secs
10 mins 6 secs
1 min 22 secs
4 mins 59 secs
8 mins 49 secs
2 mins 32 secs
Latest Swindon News
- Bath 32-20 Worcester
- Family car catches fire among lions
- Police hunt for missing North Swindon man
- Man, 69, held as woman dies at house
- Giddy up for a good time at Lambourn open day
- Residents up in arms over homes’ design
- Son demands better patient care after father attacked in hospital
- Family vow to find dad a cancer cure
- Razor Ruddick to help Prospect appeal
- Teacher assistant regrets harassment
- Event will honour Mr Swindon
- Farmers offered £35k to repair flood
- Mencap offers to 'educate' former mayor
- End may be in sight for Filipino jail couple
- Coventry City 1-2 Swindon Town
- Aldershot Town 3-2 Salisbury City
- VIDEO: World's toughest canoe race begins
- If you love a book then share it
- Kids are climbing the walls over the holidays
- M4 closed for man spotted on bridge