This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|GWR, The Works aerial view north east||
The Works began operations in Swindon in January 1843 initially as a repair facility extensively developing expanding Swindon's population enormously over the years. The photographer perched on top of the Carriage works roof pointing north east recording the newly extended General Offices building, to its left 'B' Shed complex. Note there is no date for this photo so we have estimated one.
|June 1, 1920|
|GWR, The last Chief Mechanical Engineer||
Mr F.W. Hawksworth the last Chief Mechanical Engineer in his office within the General Offices he succeeded C.B. Collett in 1941. Note No date is given so we have estimated one.
|June 1, 1941|
|GWR, Swindon, Hooter room,||
This is a picture of where the Hooter was operated from and the time schedules and clock to show when to sound it. Note date is estimated.
|July 1, 1930|
|GWR, Swindon, 1890||
A view of the Running Shed the picture is looking north and shows the running sheds to the right and stock sheds to the left. Notice that sme broad gauge track is still present.
|July 1, 1890|
|GWR, Swindon Works Pass, during WWII, 1942||
A Pass was required to gain entry to the Short Bros buildings on the GWR site during the Second World War. Short Bros' entrance was at the slope (later knon as Shorts'Hill by locals) on the edge of Ferndale Road recreation ground and Osborne Street, now part of the Oasis traffic island, Mr R.J. Clarke worked there as an inspector on the parts produced for aircraft.
|March 1, 1942|
Other Recently Added Videos
3 mins 35 secs
18 mins 58 secs
34 mins 42 secs
3 mins 39 secs
9 mins 5 secs
3 mins 14 secs
6 mins 30 secs
Latest Swindon News
- 'Apology needed' over stray shell
- Students at Swindon College become masters at money management
- Swindon Town v Wolves
- Police chase kids in stolen car
- Typhoon set to sweep the skies
- Health is in the spotlight
- Developers pledge to fix house cracks
- Commonwealth flag unfurled
- Street-ready drugs seized in police raid
- Burglar stole locket with father’s ashes
- Town smokers fear they will die young
- The last thing he did was wish me a happy birthday
- Scientist in bid to improve our food
- Walk will help to keep lifeline alive
- Have a say on leisure leases
- Sad farewells to teenager Ashley
- 11-year-old gets letter from Queen
- Stink forces landfill site to close... for now
- High Sheriff visits Swindon hydrogen refuelling station
- Great performance of Blood Brothers at Wyvern Theatre, Swindon