This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|GWR, The Works aerial view north east||
The Works began operations in Swindon in January 1843 initially as a repair facility extensively developing expanding Swindon's population enormously over the years. The photographer perched on top of the Carriage works roof pointing north east recording the newly extended General Offices building, to its left 'B' Shed complex. Note there is no date for this photo so we have estimated one.
|June 1, 1920|
|GWR, The last Chief Mechanical Engineer||
Mr F.W. Hawksworth the last Chief Mechanical Engineer in his office within the General Offices he succeeded C.B. Collett in 1941. Note No date is given so we have estimated one.
|June 1, 1941|
|GWR, Swindon, Hooter room,||
This is a picture of where the Hooter was operated from and the time schedules and clock to show when to sound it. Note date is estimated.
|July 1, 1930|
|GWR, Swindon, 1890||
A view of the Running Shed the picture is looking north and shows the running sheds to the right and stock sheds to the left. Notice that sme broad gauge track is still present.
|July 1, 1890|
|GWR, Swindon Works Pass, during WWII, 1942||
A Pass was required to gain entry to the Short Bros buildings on the GWR site during the Second World War. Short Bros' entrance was at the slope (later knon as Shorts'Hill by locals) on the edge of Ferndale Road recreation ground and Osborne Street, now part of the Oasis traffic island, Mr R.J. Clarke worked there as an inspector on the parts produced for aircraft.
|March 1, 1942|
Other Recently Added Videos
17 mins 56 secs
14 mins 24 secs
4 mins 23 secs
15 mins 48 secs
2 mins 37 secs
16 mins 28 secs
13 mins 10 secs
28 mins 43 secs
Latest Swindon News
- Concern over Stonehenge tunnel plan
- Heroes fraud allegation man declares he has mental issues
- Town players helped young fan achieve his dream goal
- Police chief hands out bravery awards
- Violent mugger jailed for three years
- Canal Trust's joy over lottery cash
- Rent a mouth Katie Hopkins slams town again
- Shoppers pounce on Black Friday bargains
- Warning after sexual assault in town centre
- New GCSEs to be graded 1 to 9
- Union slams bid to recruit overseas teachers
- Bookworms celebrate 40 years at heart of village
- Wake up call from PJs crew at store
- Beating a path to a career with police
- But film themed Christmas special gets warm welcome
- Bath 25-6 Harlequins
- No charge in Melanie Hall murder
- Man denies murdering his parents
- Major row about more housing next to Lydiard Park, Swindon
- Woman, 34, sexually assaulted in town centre