This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|GWR, WWII Anti-aircraft post||
A rather makeshift anti-aircraft post was situated on top of the station during World War II. Note ther is no exact date for this photo so we have estimated one.
|June 1, 1940|
|GWR, WWII, 1000lb Bombs at the Works||
'X' Shop manufacturing 1000lb bombs.
|June 1, 1941|
|GWR, WWII, 1000lb Bombs made in Swindon||
The manufacture of the casings for 1000lb bombs which were filled with high explosives elsewhere during World War II. Note no date is given so we have estimated one.
|June 1, 1941|
|GWR, WWII, 25 Ton Tanks in 'AE' Shop||
'AE' Shop expertise put to producing 25 ton tanks during World War II.
|February 1, 1941|
|GWR, WWII, Bomb Raid at the Gas Works||
A German Bomb raid on the Works hit a gas holder with machine gun fire, staff acted swiftly blocking the holes and therefore prevented any potentially serious consequences.
|July 27, 1942|
Other Recently Added Videos
3 mins 35 secs
18 mins 58 secs
34 mins 42 secs
3 mins 39 secs
9 mins 5 secs
3 mins 14 secs
6 mins 30 secs
Latest Swindon News
- Police appeal for information after elderly woman is robbed of £2,000
- The end of an era for green waste collections
- Party as community venue hits 40
- Firm to take over running of children's centres
- Tar very much while the dry lasts
- Mysterious case of the disappearing dog poo bin
- HOTSEAT: Send us your questions for Women's Aid director
- IN THE HOTSEAT: Police chief answers your questions
- Wiltshire Council repairs road in dry weather
- Poorly repaired road is a hazard says Wanborough resident
- Firm to take over running of children’s centres
- Teachers prepare for strike action
- Model students pick up science award
- Call to act now over housing crisis
- Runner’s on course to raise cancer awareness
- Brewery bids for an eatery
- David gains a job to sink his teeth into
- Joyride chase across town
- Charity darts night held in memory of popular player
- Traffic concerns over new 'Hub' district centre