This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|Akers Way, Moredon, Princess Elizabeths visit, 1950||
Princess Elizabeth visiting the newly opened council houses in Akers Way Moredon 15th November 1950. She visited a Mrs Willmott in her home at No.22.
|November 15, 1950|
|Albert Street, premises of Edward King 1890||
Albert Street, premises of Edward King, cycle maker, on the corner with Wood Street. 1890
|July 1, 1890|
|Albion Street, Webbs Wharfe, Wilts and Berks Canal 1873||
Its hard these days to picture the canal running along the footpath behind Albion Street, let alone the wharf and landing stage that once stood there. Here are the pictures to help you visualise it
|June 1, 1873|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill Terminus, Tramcar No6, 1908||
Gorse Hill Terminus Tramcar No.6 in 1908.
|June 1, 1908|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill, Empire Day, 1937||
Argyle Street Empire Day the children all dressed up to celebrate. Identified are Margaret Fowler, Edna and Eileen Gillman, Pam Wilson, Jean Smith, Molly Nurden and her sister ?, the Grub brothers and Cyril ? Cox.
|May 24, 1937|
|Ashford Road, looking north, 1910||
A view of Ashford Road, looking north in 1910, St Saviour's Church to the right.
|July 1, 1910|
Latest Swindon News
- No longer 'legal highs': Everything you need to know about the ban
- Pinehurst man cleared of rape
- Eddie’s ‘stalker’ takes the lead
- Ban on legal highs comes into force three years after death of Swindon man
- Brexit 'a leap in the dark' says City Minister
- Award-winning band stage return to town
- Texan troubador’s makes pilgrim's progress on Euro tour
- Down on the farm with Gabrielle
- So much more than a Hendrix lookalike
- Sparcells woman took her own life after battling depression and alcohol
- Man drew knife after seeing former girlfriend with new partner
- Held: Man, 43, facing false imprisonment and common assault charges
- Tributes to festival-goer crash victim
- Tributes paid to victim of A420 tragedy by heartbroken mum and partner
- Man charged with homophobic abuse finally in appears in court
- Members of U3A groups raise more than £2,000 for Prospect Hospice
- Boy, 12, spends night in police cells after allegedly attacking mum and sister
- Walking in memory of our little ones at Swindon Sands event
- Bid for 2,000 homes under scrutiny
- On this day from Monday May 23 2016