This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|Akers Way, Moredon, Princess Elizabeths visit, 1950||
Princess Elizabeth visiting the newly opened council houses in Akers Way Moredon 15th November 1950. She visited a Mrs Willmott in her home at No.22.
|November 15, 1950|
|Albert Street, premises of Edward King 1890||
Albert Street, premises of Edward King, cycle maker, on the corner with Wood Street. 1890
|July 1, 1890|
|Albion Street, Webbs Wharfe, Wilts and Berks Canal 1873||
Its hard these days to picture the canal running along the footpath behind Albion Street, let alone the wharf and landing stage that once stood there. Here are the pictures to help you visualise it
|June 1, 1873|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill Terminus, Tramcar No6, 1908||
Gorse Hill Terminus Tramcar No.6 in 1908.
|June 1, 1908|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill, Empire Day, 1937||
Argyle Street Empire Day the children all dressed up to celebrate. Identified are Margaret Fowler, Edna and Eileen Gillman, Pam Wilson, Jean Smith, Molly Nurden and her sister ?, the Grub brothers and Cyril ? Cox.
|May 24, 1937|
|Ashford Road, looking north, 1910||
A view of Ashford Road, looking north in 1910, St Saviour's Church to the right.
|July 1, 1910|
Latest Swindon News
- Kids on hunt for Pokemon
- Sean Turner case: Heart death boy 'not given best chance'
- School’s fringe benefit
- Tips for staying safe this Halloween
- 15 text messages in three days sees man slapped with restraining order
- Take the Morrisons chilli challenge this Halloween
- Stores get set for ‘Spooky Saturday’
- Driver's ban extended after firewood dash
- Crash closes lane of M4
- Musical trio give charity backing
- Halliwell’s letters from jail revealed
- Halloween Britpop lands in concept concert
- Man with distinctive twisted front teeth sought after broad daylight robbery
- Spooky goings on at Halloween craft sessions
- On this day from Monday, October 31, 2016
- Averies Recycling brothers spared jail for Swindon tip fire
- Push to help homeless
- Averies brothers spared jail over burning waste sites
- Ambulance hijacker who terrified doctor held
- No more smoke at the bus station