This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|Akers Way, Moredon, Princess Elizabeths visit, 1950||
Princess Elizabeth visiting the newly opened council houses in Akers Way Moredon 15th November 1950. She visited a Mrs Willmott in her home at No.22.
|November 15, 1950|
|Albert Street, premises of Edward King 1890||
Albert Street, premises of Edward King, cycle maker, on the corner with Wood Street. 1890
|July 1, 1890|
|Albion Street, Webbs Wharfe, Wilts and Berks Canal 1873||
Its hard these days to picture the canal running along the footpath behind Albion Street, let alone the wharf and landing stage that once stood there. Here are the pictures to help you visualise it
|June 1, 1873|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill Terminus, Tramcar No6, 1908||
Gorse Hill Terminus Tramcar No.6 in 1908.
|June 1, 1908|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill, Empire Day, 1937||
Argyle Street Empire Day the children all dressed up to celebrate. Identified are Margaret Fowler, Edna and Eileen Gillman, Pam Wilson, Jean Smith, Molly Nurden and her sister ?, the Grub brothers and Cyril ? Cox.
|May 24, 1937|
|Ashford Road, looking north, 1910||
A view of Ashford Road, looking north in 1910, St Saviour's Church to the right.
|July 1, 1910|
Latest Swindon News
- You might not know you're a victim of latest phone scam
- Man found with skunk worth £25k told to hand over £525
- Convicted fraudster working as a teacher again, this time with a new name
- 'We won't charge for Parkruns at Lydiard'
- Club celebrates 35 years
- On course for Costa Rica
- Police seek to reunite stolen bikes with owners
- Jailed: Man expecting to start new job after turning his life around
- Rising star Hannah's first film role
- Naval officer jailed for sex assault
- Workers who lost their lives remembered during poignant ceremony
- Swindon planning for Ajose & Kasim exit
- Spelling error delays sentencing of burglary gang
- Aspiring traders show they have what it takes in national final
- New College kicks off football partnership with China
- Addict calls for magistrates to send him to jail
- Suspended sentence for man found with Class A drugs
- Rival Pilots by Rival Pilots
- Ken Livingstone still to appear at Swindon Festival of Literature despite suspension
- Marathon runner sheds eight stone and finds lasting love