This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|Akers Way, Moredon, Princess Elizabeths visit, 1950||
Princess Elizabeth visiting the newly opened council houses in Akers Way Moredon 15th November 1950. She visited a Mrs Willmott in her home at No.22.
|November 15, 1950|
|Albert Street, premises of Edward King 1890||
Albert Street, premises of Edward King, cycle maker, on the corner with Wood Street. 1890
|July 1, 1890|
|Albion Street, Webbs Wharfe, Wilts and Berks Canal 1873||
Its hard these days to picture the canal running along the footpath behind Albion Street, let alone the wharf and landing stage that once stood there. Here are the pictures to help you visualise it
|June 1, 1873|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill Terminus, Tramcar No6, 1908||
Gorse Hill Terminus Tramcar No.6 in 1908.
|June 1, 1908|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill, Empire Day, 1937||
Argyle Street Empire Day the children all dressed up to celebrate. Identified are Margaret Fowler, Edna and Eileen Gillman, Pam Wilson, Jean Smith, Molly Nurden and her sister ?, the Grub brothers and Cyril ? Cox.
|May 24, 1937|
|Ashford Road, looking north, 1910||
A view of Ashford Road, looking north in 1910, St Saviour's Church to the right.
|July 1, 1910|
Latest Swindon News
- Volunteer dies working on Pewsham Locks near Chippenham
- Charity appeal for children's birthday cake bakers
- Recalling pints from the past with another dip into pub archive
- Make your crew a cut above the rest for salon contest
- Britain's Got Talent scouting for best of Swindon's acts
- Designer who battled back from crash makes amazing newspaper dress
- Kleptomaniac couldn't overcome temptation in Claire’s Accessories, court hears
- Happy birthday to legend Les at 90
- Catholics will converge on Swindon to see image of holy relic at church
- Nellie marks her 100th birthday with a message from the Queen
- Police plea over 'groping' on bus
- Campaigners fight to get Lydiard Park homes plan thrown out
- Hoodie thief spotted by TK Maxx security guard he went to school with and 5 others before the courts
- Volunteer to help First World War memorial scheme
- Britain's Next Top Models to launch new venture for Goldsworthy's
- Jailed: Burglar, 20, who raided houses while occupants slept
- Breast cancer patient's desperate appeal
- In memory of Michael - Gorse Hill comes together to support grieving family
- Campaign against South Marston energy centre gathers pace
- Dad and daughter mourn closure of local pub