This section of the site is provided in partnership with The Swindon Society and The Richard Jefferies Society. It enables you to see how the surrounding area used to look and learn more about your town. We are adding value by providing a current photograph taken as far as possible from the same position. The project involves a fair bit of detective work, so if you can add or correct information, please get in touch. This is your site, so if you would like to get involved in extending this project, please let us know.
|Akers Way, Moredon, Princess Elizabeths visit, 1950||
Princess Elizabeth visiting the newly opened council houses in Akers Way Moredon 15th November 1950. She visited a Mrs Willmott in her home at No.22.
|November 15, 1950|
|Albert Street, premises of Edward King 1890||
Albert Street, premises of Edward King, cycle maker, on the corner with Wood Street. 1890
|July 1, 1890|
|Albion Street, Webbs Wharfe, Wilts and Berks Canal 1873||
Its hard these days to picture the canal running along the footpath behind Albion Street, let alone the wharf and landing stage that once stood there. Here are the pictures to help you visualise it
|June 1, 1873|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill Terminus, Tramcar No6, 1908||
Gorse Hill Terminus Tramcar No.6 in 1908.
|June 1, 1908|
|Argyle Street, Gorse Hill, Empire Day, 1937||
Argyle Street Empire Day the children all dressed up to celebrate. Identified are Margaret Fowler, Edna and Eileen Gillman, Pam Wilson, Jean Smith, Molly Nurden and her sister ?, the Grub brothers and Cyril ? Cox.
|May 24, 1937|
|Ashford Road, looking north, 1910||
A view of Ashford Road, looking north in 1910, St Saviour's Church to the right.
|July 1, 1910|
Latest Swindon News
- 'Sick and evil' paedophiles have appeal thrown out
- Appeal to help couple of 50 years take first holiday abroad
- Drink driving costs Army officer his place in tank regiment
- Charity launches new helpline for parents worried about radicalisation
- NSPCC employee gives tips on how to keep children safe during summer holidays
- Jailed: Swindon brothel madam who went on run for seven years
- VIDEO: Swindon student marks graduation by standing unaided for first time in five years
- Cardiff brothel madam who went on the run abroad jailed
- Jailed: Alcoholic who plagued streets of Swindon
- Malmesbury students kickstart WOMAD with Brazilian-inspired performance
- Bail for man who admits attempted burglary with intent to cause GBH
- We need to support Olive Tree Cafe, says MP
- Get your car fix at Route 66 Motor Show
- IT manager who started out as nurse retires after three decades
- Three teenagers face assault charge
- Disabled Swindon student given standing ovation when collecting honour
- Concern for patients as bus service decides not to stop at hospital
- Lonely disabled goose finds new feathered friends
- Eclectic band join world music festival line-up
- Appeal over mysterious disappearance of roadside signs